My name is Dr David Wright and I’m a Senior Lecturer in Linguistics at Nottingham Trent University. I am a corpus-based forensic linguist, and have research interests in all areas of language and law, evidence, crime and justice. I am co-author of An Introduction to Forensic Linguistics: Language in Evidence (2nd edn) with Professor Malcolm Coulthard and Dr Alison May (was Johnson).
In 2015 I was awarded my PhD from the University of Leeds, which focused on developing corpus linguistic methods in forensic authorship analysis. I have been a lecturer at NTU since September 2014 and teach across a broad range of research-led modules. I regularly attend and present papers at conferences and have published work in international journals. In addition, I hold the following academic roles:
- I am a member of the Editorial board for Humanities & Social Sciences Communications (Springer Nature).
- I am Section Editor for Corpus Linguistics in The Elsevier Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics (3rd edn) (with Gavin Brookes).
- I am Reviews Editor for the journal Language and Law (Linguagem e Direito)
- Between 2014-16 I was Section Editor for Corpus Linguistics for Open Linguistics (De Gruyter)
- I was co-editor of Volume 30 of the Leeds Working Papers in Linguistics and Phonetics.
- I have reviewed articles for the International Journal of Speech Language and the Law (Equinox), the International Journal of Corpus Linguistics (Benjamins), Journal of Pragmatics (Elsevier), Digital Scholarship in the Humanities (OUP), The International Journal of Evidence and Proof (SAGE), Language and Law (Linguagem e Direito), Journal of Corpora and Discourse Studies (Cardiff), Critical Discourse Studies (Taylor & Francis), Corpora (EUP), English Today (CUP), Language and Literature (Sage) and The Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics (Wiley).
- I have reviewed book/series proposals or manuscripts for Cambridge University Press, Routledge, Bloomsbury, Palgrave, and Polity Press.
- I have reviewed grant applications for The British Academy and The Austrian Science Fund.
- I regularly review conference abstracts for national and international conferences.
- Between 2016 – 2020 I was external examiner for the BA English Language and Linguistics programme at Oxford Brookes University.
Memberships and roles
- UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) Early Career Researcher Forum
- International Association of Forensic Linguists (IAFL)
- International Association of Applied Linguistics (AILA)
- British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL)
- Germanic Society for Forensic Linguistics (GSFL)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- Committe Member of BAAL Corpus Linguistics Special Interest Group, Meetings Secretary (2019-2022)